EPL's Educational Support Center Guidelines
9. Educational Support Services and Partnerships
9.1 USE OF THE EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT CENTER (5/19/2011)
This Policy for use of the Enterprise Public Library’s Educational Support Center is an affirmation of the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights Concerning Meeting Rooms which states:
“As an institution of education for democratic living, the Library should welcome the use of its meeting rooms, for socially useful and cultural activities. Such meeting places should be available on equal terms to all not-for-profit groups in the community regardless of the beliefs and affiliations of their members provided that the meetings be open to the public.”
The Enterprise Public Library has one room, the Educational Support Center, to be used for meetings and programs. The primary purpose of the ESC room is to provide appropriate space for library meetings and programs. When the room is not in use for library sponsored programming, it may be reserved for public use with the approval of the Library Director. The respectful use of the Library’s building, furnishings and fixtures are essential to the continued public enjoyment of our facility.
When chairs are set up in rows, the room seats twenty people comfortably; a group larger than thirty would be very crowded. Normally, there are three to four small tables in the room. Wireless Internet is available in the ESC room. Those who are interested in reserving the room should feel free to view the room prior to reserving it.
Because the Enterprise Public Library regards the availability and use of its Educational Support Center as an integral part of its service to the community, the room may be reserved for the following situations, during normal hours of Library operation:
- Educational meetings other than one-on-one tutoring
- Cultural meetings
- Charitable meetings
- Intellectual meetings
- Other non-profit meeting purposes
- Test proctoring by appointment
The room may not be used for:
- Any purpose that interferes with the regular operation of the library
- Programs involving sales, advertising, solicitation or promotion of commercial products or services
- Personal, company or family parties or similar activities
- Any political purposes ( i.e., information sharing, election issues, etc., )
- Religious services
- Initial programs that are to be followed by other meetings somewhere else where fees will be charged.
ESC Meeting Room Rules and Policies:
- All groups, other than proctored test takers and those directly associated with the Library will be required to sign a User Agreement before reserving the room. Usage, reservations, and availability are subject to the discretion of the Library Director.
- No fees will be charged for use unless damages occur; however, donations are accepted.
- Requests will be handled on a first come, first served basis.
- To encourage the use of the ESC Meeting Room for diverse events and to give all qualified groups access to this service, the Library will not accept reservations for a series of meetings (more than 3 successive months) which would designate the Library as the regular meeting place for any organization.
- The library reserves the right to cancel an agreement at any time.
- Activities involving minors are only permitted with adequate supervision of 1 adult (21 years of age) for every 10 children present. The adults will be personally responsible for the conduct of the event.
- Nothing may be attached to the wall, ceiling, doors or furniture without the approval of a Library staff member. Candles and other open flames are prohibited.
- Storage of any items by groups using the room is not permitted unless special circumstances apply. Any exception must be approved by the Library Director.
- The Library will not assume responsibility for the security of items brought into the ESC Meeting Room.
- Refreshments (with the exception of alcoholic beverages) may be served. Any spills should be cleaned up promptly to avoid staining the carpet, tables or chairs. Any damage, breakage or food spillage by the organization using the ESC room must be compensated for within 30 days at replacement cost, labor cost, or both. A bill will be sent to the presiding officer of the group or the person who registered to use the room.
- The Enterprise Public Library staff members are not responsible for setting up or rearranging the room.
- Meetings may not be scheduled to begin until 30 minutes after the Library opens.
- All events or meetings must end 15 minutes prior to the Library’s scheduled closing to ensure ample time for clean up and inspection.
- All groups using the ESC Meeting Room are expected to leave the facility in a clean and orderly condition and all trash should be taken to the outside bins.
- The Library will charge the group or organization if housekeeping or maintenance service is necessary or for damages to Library property.
- The ESC Meeting Room will be closed whenever the Library is closed because of weather or other emergencies.
- Library sponsored or co-sponsored events may be exempt from some of the above regulations at the discretion of the Library Director and the Library Board of Trustees.
- Misuse of Library property could result in immediate suspension of privileges to schedule future meetings.
- Violators may be assessed a damage fee in addition to suspension of privileges.
- Groups using the ESC Meeting Room shall not do anything to disturb any Patron of the Library.
- Persons attending the meeting shall not solicit a Patron of the Library for any purpose nor distribute any material to those not attending the meeting.
- The Library Board of Trustees has given the Library Director the authority to supervise the use of the ESC Meeting Room and interpret this policy.
- The Director shall have the right to waive the regulations whenever it is in the best interest of the Library or the community and to cancel further use of the Library facilities for any organization that does not follow the above regulations.
Reservation Forms are available at the Enterprise Public Library's Circulation Desk. This form must be approved prior to committing requested date(s) on EPL's calendar.
Permission to use ESC Meeting Room does not constitute endorsement of the users’ policies, presentation or viewpoints by the Enterprise Public Library, the City of Enterprise, or Coffee County.